Joplin Regional Artists Coalition
April 10, 2018
Attending: Andrew Batcheller, Connie Miller, Steve Doerr, Marta Churchwell, Laura Lowry-Greene, and Emily Rose.
A motion was made by Steve Doerr and seconded by Laura Lowry-Greene to approve minutes from the March board meeting. The motion was unanimously approved.
A treasurer’s report was unavailable for review, but Andrew Batcheller reported that $104 had been received in membership renewals for the last month.
Laura Lowry-Greene presented a letter she had compiled that the JRAC board will send to welcome new and renewing members. The letter will be accompanied by a personal membership card and a JRAC member information card, a JRAC brochure, and an exhibit card.
The following final details were discussed for the Blue Bunny Show, scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday, April 28, at Andrew Batcheller’s studio, 2102 S. Connor:
- While it was agreed that there will be no charge to artists for submitting work for exhibiting, there will be a 25% commission charged on sales. Daria Claiborne has agreed to process any sales. Members may submit one piece of art, no larger than 20 x 20 and predominately blue in color.
- Drop-off of artwork was set for 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, April 22, at the studio. The board will gather from noon to 3 p.m. to prepare the studio for the event.
- There was further discussion that while there will be no admission to the event, there will be a suggested donation of $10. No one will be turned away for the inability to donate. Donation jars will be placed in the studio and at the food and beverage tables.
- There was discussion that exhibit awards will be based on People’s Choice, rather being selected by a judge. The award for first place will be a certificate and a free one-year membership and the second and third place awards will be certificates and ribbons. Andrew Batcheller reported that he has ribbons and Steve Doerr has a format for the certificates, which he will prepare.
- There was a review of the board-provided food, which will include chili, brats and wieners, blue corn chips, salsa, and guacamole. The board will provide drinks to include wine, blue punch, iced tea and blue lemonade, and Missouri Eagle Distributing Co. has agreed to provide a cooler with a variety of beers. Members who attend will be asked to bring desserts.
- Andrew reported that he had distributed posters and event post cards to art-related businesses and galleries and to two members in Springfield for distribution to galleries there.
- There was discussion on art pedestals and table and chair needs, and Andrew reported that he has a canopy for artwork that will be raffled.
- Steve Doerr will get tickets for raffle of art pieces by specific artists and he will print copies of the liability waiver for artists who submit artwork for the exhibit portion of the event.
- There was agreement to hang a board on which members may place sticky notes offering input on what they would like JRAC to offer its members.
It was reported that Emily Rose and Andrew are to meet with Sarah Serio to discuss formatting of the e-newsletter that was sent to members when she was JRAC president. Emily has agreed to begin sending a monthly member e-newsletter to include information on JRAC news and exhibits, along with listings of shows and art-related events in which members are participating.
There was discussion on artwork to be submitted to the exhibit in June at Maple Uncommon Hotel and Gallery in Columbus, Ks. Laura Lowry-Greene, who is hosting the show, noted that the artwork that sold at the previous exhibit at Maple Uncommon was new work that had not been shown previously. It was agreed that while there will be no hard rule against showing artwork that has been exhibited previously, members will be strongly urged to submit new work for JRAC exhibits.
The next board meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 8, at Andrew’s Batcheller’s studio, 2102 S. Connor.