Joplin Regional Artists Coalition

Board Meeting

June 8, 2021

Attendees: Nancy Erwin, Sandra Parrill, Andrew Batcheller, Chadan Tomlin, Angel Brame, Al Gritten

Absent: Emily Rose, Daria Claiborne

The meeting of the JRAC board was called to order at 6:00pm by President Andrew Batcheller.

Agenda Approval: A motion was made by Al Gritten to approve the agenda and seconded by Sandra Parrill. The motion was unanimously approved.

Minutes Approval: Minutes approved via email prior to meeting and disbursed to members.

Chadan Tomlin presented a Treasurer’s report that showed a beginning balance of $8,979.80. Ending balance after membership dues and disbursements result in a balance of $9189.30 in the bank account. Treasurer’s Report Approval: A motion was made by Sandra Parrill to accept the report and was seconded by Al Gritten. The motion was unanimously approved.

Membership update: Current membership stands at 106.

Joplin Arts District requested a renewal of JRAC’s membership with a dues payment of $35. A motion was made by Angel Brame to renew the membership and seconded by Nancy Erwin. The motion was unanimously approved. It was discussed that future annual renewal would be contingent upon a better understanding of how membership fees are used to promote the arts district.

Coffee Talk was held on May 22nd at 10:00am with Sandra Parrill hosting in person at Becketts in Joplin. Sandra will begin posting more details of what is discussed during the events on social media accounts. Topics on May 22nd included discussions of theme or no theme to shows and additional workshops for members on the business of art and not just techniques. Next Coffee Talk is June 26th at 10am at Becketts in Joplin.

Studio Tours resuming in November, 2021. The tour has been scheduled for November 6th and 7th. Applications will be available soon. A home base for members who have home studios and would prefer a public space is needed. Andrew suggested Lori Hahn might have a store front on Main Street available and will contact her with dates. Chadan also suggested the Empire Market may have an option. Daria will follow up on these options.

Andrew presented the topic of “Pizza Think Tank at Spiva” as a way to have members meet and talk about JRAC. Spiva has agreed to let JRAC use the main gallery for the event. Andrew will discuss dates with Spiva for August. More details will be sent to membership as they become available.

The summer exhibit at MSSU’s gallery on campus will be held June 28-July 22, 2021 with the title, “The Light in the Darkness.” Pieces for the exhibit will be delivered to Andrew Batcheller’s studio on June 17th from 5-7pm. Works will be delivered to MSSU and installed by June 22nd. A reception will be held on July 9th from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. An email will go out as a reminder of the exhibit to all current members. Chadan will write the press release and create a poster for the event. The theme was discussed as it was brought up at Coffee Talk. While the theme will be used as a standard for the judging process, it will not be used to turn away works for the exhibit.

The next workshops for members are being scheduled for late summer and fall. Brenda Hayes will conduct a book binding workshop and Andrew Batcheller will conduct a canvas stretching workshop. Details will be sent out as they become available.

The meeting was declared adjourned at 7:11pm by Andrew Batcheller. The next meeting of the JRAC Board will be at Andrew Batcheller’s studio on Tuesday, July 13th at 6pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Angel Brame, Secretary