Joplin Regional Artists Coalition
Jan. 8, 2019
Attending: Steve Doerr, Laura Lowry-Greene, Andrew Batcheller, Marta Churchwell, and Brenda Sears Hayes
A motion was made by Steve Doerr and seconded by Laura Lowry-Greene to accept the minutes of the December board meeting. The motion was unanimously approved.
Marta Churchwell presented a report on the December JRAC Coffee Talk. She noted that it included a brainstorming session on suggestions for JRAC activities for the coming year. They included expansion of exhibits into Northwest Arkansas with member contacts available for this in Bentonville and Eureka Springs; a themed exhibit focusing on local/area history, perhaps Route 66; and a “re-homing” sale of artwork that artists have been unable to sell or no longer want.
Emily Rose reported that the most recent issue of the newsletter was sent out. It was noted that the deadline for members to submit information on their exhibits or other art activities is the 25th of each month. The information may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The date for drop-off for artwork for the artCentral JRAC Membership Show was set for 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27, at artCentral. Brenda Sears Hayes and Laura Lowry-Greene agreed to help process the entries during the drop-off. Pickup of artwork from the exhibit at Buttonwood Art Space was set for 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, at Andrew Batcheller’s studio at 21st and Connor.
Plans were finalized for the annual General Membership Meeting, which will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 16, at the Joplin Public Library. The agenda was set as follows: Review of the budget and the 2018 year activities; election of new board members with each candidate given two minutes to speak; and acceptance of suggestions for JRAC activities in 2019. The follow slate of board candidates will be presented:
- Completion of a one-year, unexpired term: Brenda Sears Hayes
- Three, three-year seats: Angel Brame, Michelle Knight, Sandra Parrill, and Chadan Tomlin
The next meeting of the board is set for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, in the conference room of the Joseph Newman Innovation Center, 407 S. Pennsylvania.
Joplin Regional Artists Coalition
April 10, 2018
Attending: Andrew Batcheller, Connie Miller, Steve Doerr, Marta Churchwell, Laura Lowry-Greene, and Emily Rose.
A motion was made by Steve Doerr and seconded by Laura Lowry-Greene to approve minutes from the March board meeting. The motion was unanimously approved.
A treasurer’s report was unavailable for review, but Andrew Batcheller reported that $104 had been received in membership renewals for the last month.
Laura Lowry-Greene presented a letter she had compiled that the JRAC board will send to welcome new and renewing members. The letter will be accompanied by a personal membership card and a JRAC member information card, a JRAC brochure, and an exhibit card.
The following final details were discussed for the Blue Bunny Show, scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday, April 28, at Andrew Batcheller’s studio, 2102 S. Connor:
- While it was agreed that there will be no charge to artists for submitting work for exhibiting, there will be a 25% commission charged on sales. Daria Claiborne has agreed to process any sales. Members may submit one piece of art, no larger than 20 x 20 and predominately blue in color.
- Drop-off of artwork was set for 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, April 22, at the studio. The board will gather from noon to 3 p.m. to prepare the studio for the event.
- There was further discussion that while there will be no admission to the event, there will be a suggested donation of $10. No one will be turned away for the inability to donate. Donation jars will be placed in the studio and at the food and beverage tables.
- There was discussion that exhibit awards will be based on People’s Choice, rather being selected by a judge. The award for first place will be a certificate and a free one-year membership and the second and third place awards will be certificates and ribbons. Andrew Batcheller reported that he has ribbons and Steve Doerr has a format for the certificates, which he will prepare.
- There was a review of the board-provided food, which will include chili, brats and wieners, blue corn chips, salsa, and guacamole. The board will provide drinks to include wine, blue punch, iced tea and blue lemonade, and Missouri Eagle Distributing Co. has agreed to provide a cooler with a variety of beers. Members who attend will be asked to bring desserts.
- Andrew reported that he had distributed posters and event post cards to art-related businesses and galleries and to two members in Springfield for distribution to galleries there.
- There was discussion on art pedestals and table and chair needs, and Andrew reported that he has a canopy for artwork that will be raffled.
- Steve Doerr will get tickets for raffle of art pieces by specific artists and he will print copies of the liability waiver for artists who submit artwork for the exhibit portion of the event.
- There was agreement to hang a board on which members may place sticky notes offering input on what they would like JRAC to offer its members.
It was reported that Emily Rose and Andrew are to meet with Sarah Serio to discuss formatting of the e-newsletter that was sent to members when she was JRAC president. Emily has agreed to begin sending a monthly member e-newsletter to include information on JRAC news and exhibits, along with listings of shows and art-related events in which members are participating.
There was discussion on artwork to be submitted to the exhibit in June at Maple Uncommon Hotel and Gallery in Columbus, Ks. Laura Lowry-Greene, who is hosting the show, noted that the artwork that sold at the previous exhibit at Maple Uncommon was new work that had not been shown previously. It was agreed that while there will be no hard rule against showing artwork that has been exhibited previously, members will be strongly urged to submit new work for JRAC exhibits.
The next board meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 8, at Andrew’s Batcheller’s studio, 2102 S. Connor.
- Wednesday, January 17, 6:30pm at Spiva Center for the Arts (222 W 3rd St)
- Parking is available in the Spiva lot, along the streets, or in the old Joplin Public Library parking lot
- February 2018: Art Speaks at artCentral in Carthage, M)
- Drop-off: Sunday, January 28, 2–5pm
- Exhibition Dates: February 2–March 18
- Reception: Friday, February 2, 6–8pm
- Pick-up: Sunday, March 18, 4–5pm
- Must be NEW work!
JRAC Board of Directors Minutes – January 2018
Amendment of Bylaws
Dear JRAC Members,
The JRAC Board of Directors met today (12/28/17) and held the first reading on proposed changes to the JRAC Bylaws. The proposed changes are for two areas of the bylaws: 1) changing the length of term for a board member from 2 years to 3 years; and 2) changing the election process from a mailed ballot for each JRAC member to the election being held at JRAC’s annual meeting. (See attachment for specific wording of current bylaws and for proposed new wording of the bylaws.)
The Board will hold the second and final reading of the proposed changes to the bylaws on Jan. 9, 2018. The meeting will be held at 2106 S. Connor Ave, Joplin, MO (Andrew Batcheller’s studio). The meeting will begin at 6:30PM. Members wishing to address the proposed changes may do so in writing by responding to this email or in person at the meeting.
In addition, the board is presenting the following names for nomination of the 5 seats that will be vacated on the board at the end of January 2018. With the proposed changes to the current bylaws, these individuals will be voted on at the JRAC Annual Meeting on January 17, 2018.
Three-Year Terms: Andrew Batcheller, Laura Lowry-Greene, and Emily Rose
Two-Year Terms: Marta Churchwell and Lola Nelson
In addition to these five names, the ballet will also contain room for write in candidates.
JRAC Vice President
The JRAC Board invites all committee members to attend the next board meeting on Tuesday, September 19th at 6:30pm. The meeting will be at Andrew Batcheller’s studio at 2106 South Connor in Joplin, MO. Committee members are: Membership-Brenda Hayes, Laura Lowry-Greene, Emily Rose, and Mary Parks. Fundraiser and Promotions-Hiram Mesa, Jennifer O’Donnell, Marta Churchwell, Nominations-April Davis. Communications-Jodie Sutton, Jennifer O’Donnell, Koral Martin. Hospitality-Brenda Hayes, Jane McCaulley. Exhibits and Shows-Mary Datum, Josie Mai. If I missed anyone or if anyone else would like to join a committee, please come to the meeting on Tuesday evening. We look forward to your help with JRAC.